As overseas Pakistanis live abroad for various reasons, such as employment, education, or family reunification, they have established their lives outside of Pakistan. However, they still maintain a strong connection to their homeland and often visit Pakistan on occasions.
In light of this, as a regulatory authority, the Punjab Food Authority (PFA) has developed general guidelines for overseas Pakistanis visiting Punjab, Pakistan. These guidelines include specific food precautions tailored to ensure the well-being and safety of overseas visitors;
- Drink bottled water or water that has been properly boiled or treated.
- Avoid consuming beverages with ice cubes made from tap water.
- Be cautious when purchasing drinks from street vendors, and ensure that the containers are sealed and check expiry before consuming.
- Choose restaurants and food vendors that have a good reputation for cleanliness and hygiene (check last inspection from PFA website for informed decisions)
- Opt for freshly prepared foods over pre-packaged items.
- Ensure that food is thoroughly cooked and served hot.
- Before eating Fruits and vegetables , ensure thoroughly washing and peeled before consumption.
- Be cautious with street food and make sure it is prepared and served hot.
- Avoid eating from unhygienic places or stalls.
- Communicate any food allergies or dietary restrictions clearly to the restaurant staff or food vendors to avoid any cross-contamination or consumption of prohibited ingredients.
- Carry necessary medications or emergency items related to your allergies or medical conditions.
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water before eating or handling food.
- Carry hand sanitizer and use it when soap and water are not readily available.
- Avoid consuming perishable food items that have been left at room temperature for too long.
- Avoid consuming expired or spoiled food products.
- Be aware of the symptoms of foodborne illnesses and seek medical attention if you experience any.
- Stay hydrated and drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration.
These general guidelines aim to assist overseas Pakistanis visiting Punjab in ensuring their well-being and health while indulging in the local cuisine. However, if you have specific inquiries or require personalized advice, it is recommended to schedule an consultation session with the nutrition experts at the Punjab Food Authority.